Played By: Darla Jean Hood (King - her family name in Bear Facts)
Born: November 4, 1931 (possibly)
Relatives: Johnny (father), Mother (name unrevealed), Wilma (step-mother), Junior (brother), Amelia (cousin)
First Short: Our Gang Follies Of 1936
Last Short: Wedding Worries
One of the most instantaneously recognized Rascals, cute and adorable Darla Hood is first introduced in Our Gang Follies Of 1936, a singing revue which Spanky throws for the other kids to earn spending money. Darla apparently loves to sing. She sings the song, "I'll Never Say Never Again." In her first appearances, she has blonde hair, harkening back to Mary Kornman and Jean Darling; but she later reverts back to the familiar brunette locks for which she is best known.
Darla's character is the daughter of James B. Hood, the local dentist, who is also revealed to be the owner of a circus (Bear Facts, in which his last name is said to be 'King') and seems well-to-do, but not wealthy as the family of Waldo. He refers to his wife as "Mother," and later remarries after Darla's mother has passed on (Wedding Worries), and he is often very exasperated by Darla's friends, especially when they stay the night (Night 'N' Gales). Interestingly enough, in Night 'N' Gales, her father's name is Arthur Hood, while in Feed 'Em And Weep, his name is John Hood. Darla also has a little brother Junior seen in that short.
Darla is a gifted little singer, appearing in several of Spanky's shows and once nearly on the radio if not for Alfalfa Switzer. Alfalfa considers Darla his girlfriend, and she very much enjoys the attentions, but when the gang is taking his attention and he neglects her, she is not hesitant to use Waldo or even Butch to make Alfalfa jealous.
- "Have you been eating onions?!" - Darla to Alfalfa in "Pay As You Exit"
- "This is the most romantic thing I ever heard of!" - Darla in Duel Personalities
- Darla is voiced by Patty Maloney in "The Little Rascals" animated cartoon series of 1982-84.
- Darla is played by Brittany Ashton Holmes in The Little Rascals movie in 1994.
- Darla was voiced by Randi Kiger in the 1979 animated TV special "The Little Rascals Christmas Special," as well as for a series of animated Public Service Announcements.
- Darla also appeared with other Little Rascals in a series of 1980s commercials for Jello Gelatin Pops.